Posts filed under ‘Ramadan’
HOST: GreenKufi (Omar)
QURAN: Surat Yaa-Seen
Largest Religion in the world: Islam
Clip: Next Eid Call in
What to do this Eid – A look at all the Eid activities: Tell us at 613-520-2528 today betwen 5 & 6pm, or vote below (like good Candians do): Clip:
Clip: Not afraid to stand alone:
Clip:Silent victims Discussion
Silent victims in Ottawa’s shelter crisis by Sr. Lula Adam
The headline, “Thousands turned away from Ottawa women’s shelters,” on the front page of the Oct. 7 issue of the Ottawa Citizen has elicited shock and concern. Many question how it is possible that over 5,000 women seeking safe haven are turned away each year from local women’s shelters. As shocking as this number is, it is an incomplete picture. Many of hese women who are turned away have children. If it is difficult to find a bed for one woman, imagine how difficult it is to find multiple beds for a woman with five children. We are not only turning away women—we are also turning away their children. In some cases temporary shelter is found for women who escape violence with their children, however other children are being condemned to remain in homes that are not safe. Children are being reared in homes that are infested with a societal disease called violence. This disease has infected our community and it threatens the future of our nation. Violence against women when witnessed by children is also child abuse. Additionally it is a drain on our community’s human, financial and future resources. Without community support, children who witness such violence may be caught in a cycle that leads them to believe that violence is the most effective communication tool. Whether these children grow up to become victims or perpetrators of violence, the larger community is deeply affected.
Yes, it is shocking that thousands of women are being turned away from shelters. What is also appalling is that children are the silent victims in the shortage of shelter beds. These children do not have safe and nurturing upbringings, yet we as a community expect them, by some miracle, to grow up to be contributing members of society. According to Statistics Canada,domestic violence affects 7 per cent of women and their families in Ontario. Over 800,000 women in Ontario living in a common-law or marital relationship experienced physical and/or sexual assault by a spousal partner at least once during 2004 to 2006. And when we speak of violence against women, we are also speaking about the effect that violence has on their children. Children witness abuse in 40 per cent of violent relationships and 100 per cent of these children are impacted by the violence. If as a community we are unable to ensure the safety of every woman and child, then we need to invest in services within our community to support them. It is time to speak up for healthy homes, healthy communities and safe places for women and children. Our future—our children—depend upon it.
To learn more about violence against women and its impact on children please visit our website www.intervalhouseottawa.org
Lula Adam is the Public Education Coordinator of Interval House of Ottawa, a local shelter for women and children fleeing violence
Community Reviews: Brand New Halal Restaurant on 230 Herzberg Road Just off of Carling Avenue.
Food type: Indo-Pak-Chinese Buffet. Price: Excellent. Features: Huge place, Comfortable, NO Alcohol! Excellent for families, and large groups.
Menu: Lots of Items to choose from. Includes typical Indo-Pak-Chinese menu with a little bit of Thai.
Clip: Uighur Muslims of Western China:
The Plight of Muslims in China’s western Xinjiang province:
Officials in China’s western Xinjiang province have stepped up pressure on the region’s ethnic Uighur population during the holy month of Ramadan, and against other day-to-day Muslim practices. You can send a protesting email to the Chinese embasy here in Ottawa. firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder: Doing Good in Unison
Reminder: Muslim Schools (Scary?)
For all the Mothers out there who think they’ve been forgotton, and those new mothers who feel overwhelmed, and those soon to be mothers who are anxious and worried, this one is for you:
My Mon is Amazing by Naadira Ali
Clip: wrapping up
A blast from the past:
MYNA Raps: Deenin’
HOST: Ahmed Khalil
Surat Taha (ch. 20)
1) Visit our blog: http://salamottawa.blogspot.com/
2) New lecture series about Sahabiyat: http://macyouthlearn.blogspot.com
3) Islamic History Month: http://www.islamichistorymonth.com/
HOST: GreenKufi (Omar)
So when is Eid really?
Where can I go for Salat Al-Eid?
Some rulings on Eid:
Eid Mubarak by 786 Dangerously catchy
Announcements: (from OttawaMuslim.net)
October is Islamic History Month Canada 2008
Expo Islamia and Official Launching Ceremony at the Canada Science and Technology Museum
1) Expo Islamia
Saturday, Oct 11th 12:00pm to 7pm
Admission Free to Expo at Conference Hall C
Artistic displays and artifacts from around the Muslim World, Books, CDs, DVDs, presentation on Muslim scientists, some Canadian Heritage, Henna Art by Ottawa’s “Henna Lady,” astronomy display. Refreshmentsserved.
2) Launching Ceremony
Saturday, Oct 11th 6:00 to 9:00pm
Admission Free to ceremony at Auditorium
Keynote Speakers: Mayor of Ottawa Larry O’Brien
Bosnian Folklore dance, music and social hour.
Refreshments will be served.
Conference Hall C and Auditorium,
Canada Science and Technology Museum
At 1867 St. Laurent Blvd, Ottawa, Ontario, (613) 991-3044
More IHMC events on: http://www.islamichistorymonth.com/
These events are organized and sponsored by Canadian Islamic Congress
Islamic History Month Canada was launched in October 2007 to celebrate and enhance Muslims’ contributions to civilization, old and new, and inspire dialogue among all facets in the multicultural, multiethnic and multi-faith nation that Canada has become. The goals of IHMC are being achieved through a wide range of community and public events across Canada, such as exhibitions, lectures, film showings, awardpresentations and other complementary activities.
The IHMC Advisory Board includes senators, public figures, academics,inter-faith activists, Muslim community leaders and others.
In the words of IHMC’s Honorary Chair, Senator Mobina Jaffer:
“Canada’s national cultural heritage is the sum total of the wayCanadians from every background and every walk of life identify and express themselves. Islamic civilization does not belong only to MuslimCanadians, but to all Canadians. In fact, for more than 1,000 years
(about 600 AD through 1600 AD), Muslims made significant contributions to the well-being of humanity in numerous fields of endeavor. There are so many good stories to share and new learning to experience; we intend to do all that, and more, during Islamic History Month Canada.”
OTTAWA MUSLIM WOMEN’S ORGANIZATION
OMWO ANNUAL EID UL FITR LUNCH
SUNDAY OCTOBER 5/2008. 12 NOON TO 2 PM
ISHINA INDIAN RESTAURANT
14 BEXLEY PLACE, BELLS CORNERS.
BEHIND WINNERS & STAPLES STORES
OFF RICHMOND & STAFFORD ROADS
TEL: & .
COST PER PERSON $20/CHILD $10.
HOST: GreenKufi (Omar)
When is Eid?
That is simple. Eid is the first day of Shawal, which is the month that follows Ramadan.
When does Shawal Start?
That’s easy. Shawal starts when the Crescent of the new moon is sighted.
What’s all this talk about calculation?
Just as we use calculations to determine the various times of the day that correspond to the time of prayer (i.e., dhuhr=noon time, which is at 12:54 – as in the schedule you see on the left), we can calculate when and where it is possible to see the crescent of the new month, so we can determine the likelihood of the beginning of the new month.
So when and where is it possible to sight the crescent of Eid/Shawal?
Another easy one. If you navigate your favourite web browser (i.e., firefox) to the following site: moonsighting.com you will find a really nice diagram of where you can see the crecsent and when it will be visible. Go a head try it out. Ok, if you are shy I’ve included the image for teh visibility of the crecsent of Shawal bellow:
Here’s a head count of the different organization in North America and Ottawa for when Eid-ul-Fitr 1429 will be:
ISNA/FCNA: October 1, 2008
MAC: October 1st, 2008
OMA: September 30, 2008
Why the Mess in the dates? Here’s the answer. It is simple really.
No sighting to our knowledge has been made anywhere in North America.
*For more on this, including the Fatawa of Saudi Scholars who say North American Muslims should not follow Saudi Arabia per se, please read this essay.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT Miss our special Eid Program Today (we’ll talk a bit about this crescent sighting business) and will have some awesome, brand new, fresh material never heard before. But you’ve got to tune in at 5 PM today at 93.1fm or click on “Listen Live” on the left.
HOST: Ahmed Khalil
A moment with the Qura’an:
– Surat Al-Qadar with English Translation by Yusuf Islam
– Virtues of Surat Al-Fath: From Ibn Umar ” who said: “I came to the Messenger of Allah ! and gave him my salam, where upon he ! said: ‘There has been a chapter revealed upon me this night, that is more beloved to me than one upon whom the sun has risen.’ Then he ! recited; `Verily we have given you (Oh Muhammad!) a manifest victory.'” (i.e. Surah no. 48) For what it contains of signs of forgiveness and victory.” (Reported by Bukhari)
You can add bookmarks, so you can return where you left off.
You can use a magnifying glass to read fine print or if something is not clear.
You can choose from 9 different publication of the Quran.
1. Full Arabic (Two Holy Cities Publications [Outhmani font] – Madina)
2. Full Arabic – Coloured (Two Holy Cities Publications – Madina)
3. Full Arabic with Coloured Tajweed and Tafseer (Daar Al-Ma’arifah – Damascus)
4. Full Arabic with Tafseer (Daar Al-Fajr Al-Islamy – Damascus)
5. Full Arabic (Ash-Shimraly [Bihdad font] Print – Cairo)
6. Arabic with English Text and Tajweed and Transliteration (Daar Al-Ma’arifah – Damascus)
7. Full Arabic Text in Urdu Script (Two Holy Cities Publications – Madina)
8. Full Arabic Text in Qaloon Pronunciation (Daar Al-Fajr Al-Islamy – Damascus)
9. Full Arabic Text in Warsh Pronunciation (Daar Al-Fajr Al-Islamy – Damascus)
Listen to the Quran in arabic Followed by English Translation of the Meaning for each verse.
Maximize the last 10 days of Ramadan By: Abdul Malik Mujahid (IslamiCity.com)
1. Take a vacation for Allah.
2. Do I’tikaf
3. Make this special Dua
Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, said: I asked the Messenger of Allah: ‘O Messenger of Allah, if I know what night is the night of Qadr, what should I say during it?’ He said: ‘Say: O Allah, You are pardoning and You love to pardon, so pardon me.’ “(Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and Tirmidhi).The transliteration of this Dua is “Allahumma innaka ‘afuwwun tuhibbul ‘afwa fa’fu ‘annee”
4. Recite the Quran.
5. Reflect on the meaning of the Quran.
6. Get your sins wiped out.
7. Make a personal Dua list.
8. Evaluate yourself.
9. Make long, sincere and deep Duas.
10. Memorize a different Dua every night
11. Have Iftar with the family
12. Take the family to Tarawih
13. Attend the Dua after the completion of Quran recitation
14. Finish reading a book on the Prophet
15. Plan for the next year
16. To do list for the Night of Power
HOST: GreenKufi (Omar)
A Moment with the Quran:
– Virtues of the Quran (PDF) – by Abdul Qadir Al Arna’oot
– Surat ArRahman – Sh. Sadaqat Ali (22:00 minutes) [18s]
– Virtues of Surat Ar-Rahman: Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (radiAllahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, ‘Everything has an adornment, and the adornment of the Qur’an is Surah ar Rahman’[Bayhaqi in Shuab al Eiman]
The Beauty of Islam:
Description of Paradise: (By Imaam Ibn Al-Qayim Al-Jawziyah)
– IslamWay.com: A great source of information on Islam plus other cool stuff:
– Special Ramadan Feature every year.
– Audio Quran online (download or stream) of almost all Qari’s.
– Islamic Articles, Lecture, Series and other Material in English, Arabic & 33 other languages.
– You can find beautiful and touching flash videos on Islam that you can send to your friends.
– You can find Anasheed of all sorts for FREE to listen or download.
– You can find Beautiful backgrounds for your computer.
– You can also find a dedicated sister’s corner
– You can also find Greeting Cards
– You can also get a FREE web e-mail account with Islamway.com like yahoo, hotmail, or gmail.
– They even have a nice little feature (at the bottom of the arabic page) where you can look up who else in the world is currently on IslamWay.com (which gives a nice sense of unity of the Muslim Ummah).
-Ramadan Q&A: Rulings regarding Ramadan while Traveling (IslamQA.com)
Stories of the Companions of the prophet Mohammad Peace be upon him:
Umm Sulaim bint Malhaan (may Allah be pleased with her)
Ramadan In North America:
Ramadan In America (4 parts)
HOST: Ahmed Khalil
A Moment with the Qura’an:
– Surat Al-Mulk:
The Virtues of Surat Al-Mulk: (Tafseer after the post-break)
Imam Ahmad recorded from Abu Hurayrah that Allah’s Messenger said, (Verily, there is a chapter in the Qur’an which contains thirty Ayat that will intercede on behalf of its reciter until he is forgiven. (It is): (Blessed be He in Whose Hand is the dominion.))[Surat Al-Mulk] This Hadith was collected by At-Tirmidhi and the four Sunan Compilers. At-Tirmidhi said concerning it, “This is a Hasan Hadith.” At-Tabarani and Al-Hafiz Ad-Diya’ Al-Maqdisi both recorded from Anas that the Messenger of Allah said, (There is a chapter of the Qur’an that will argue on behalf of its reciter until it causes him to enter into Paradise. (It is): (Blessed be He in Whose Hand is the dominion.))
– Managing Ramadan:
– Ramadan in the Middle of Everything! (IslamOnline.net)
Stories of the Companions:
– Umm Haraam Bint Malhaan (A Nurse and Pioneer Sea Adventurer)